- According to legend, the Queen of Sheba declared that what food could be eaten only by royalty?
- A Boston food cart vendor's imaginative use of left-overs led to the founding of what popular snack food company?
- Stacy's Pita Chips. Stacy Madison once owned a food cart, specializing in sandwiches made on pita bread. Each day there were long lines of customers. One night, Ms. Madison took left-over pita dough, cut it into small pieces and baked it. The next day, she offered these "pita chips" to the people waiting on line. These chips became so popular,, that in 1998, Stacy Madison closed her food cart and created "Stacy's Pita Chips," now sold throughout the country---and of course, in Giant.
- What was the first food to be freeze-dried?
- The creation of what popular candy was inspired by food eaten by soldiers during the Spanish Civil War?
- M&M's. Forrest Mars noticed that the soldiers were eating chocolate with a hard sugar coating that didn't melt in the hot sun. He came back home, and created the classic M&M candies, which he patented in 1941.
- *All answers are items available at Giant!
2015 “Sophie Altman Coach of the Year Award”
To honor the memory of It's Academic's creator and long-time producer, Sophie Altman, Giant Food is presenting the 2015 “Sophie Altman Coach of the Year Award.” This Award is intended as a tribute to all It's Academic coaches for whom Sophie Altman had so much respect.
To nominate your school’s It's Academic coach, just send us an e-mail telling us why you would like to honor your coach. Length is optional, and coaches may be nominated by individuals or by groups, as long as those making the nominations are members of the school community.
The email address for award nominations is email@example.com.
- Deadline for nominations is April 10, 2015.
The winner will be announced on the Championship show in June.
- The Washington, D.C. taping scheduled for December 13, 2014 has been postponed until January 10, 2015
- TV Guide released their list of the "Fifty Greatest Game Shows of All Time." The only local show included was It's Academic - Read the article »
- Washington Post survey declares It's Academic the #1 greatest high school TV series! Read the article »
- After 50 years, ‘It’s Academic’ is still getting it right - Read the article »